Sunday, August 10, 2008

Too Many Tortillas!


Every Sunday night is when Son and Hubby take the trash containers to the curb in front of the house. We set out three large containers: green for recycling, brown for yard waste, and black for garbage. Anaheim has had this program for quite a number of years, and our section of town was the first one to test the program before it went citywide. Our green container is usually the fullest and primarily clean discards go in there. The load in the brown one depends on the season—fuller in summer than in winter. The black container can get messy and smelly, so we try to contain what we put in there into other plastic bags. In the summer things can get pretty rank because we dispose of over ripe fruit (not allowed in the brown container). Monday the trash is picked up.



Needless to say, we try our best not to be wasteful. That is why it frustrates me that I can hardly ever finish a package of corn tortillas! The smallest count available is 36! I remember when I could find a package of 12 tortillas, but no more. I even went to Gigante, and voiced my concern to the manager at the time. He agreed, but stated he couldn't do anything about it.

Even if I freeze some of the tortillas, they lose their freshness, and then get soggy when I defrost them. We do not eat tortillas everyday, so what to do with the old tortillas?



My Abuela Mere was the one who introduced me to Migas. She used to prepare Migas when she had left over tortillas. You don’t really need a recipe for preparing this. All that are needed are eggs and the tortillas cut-up in small pieces. You can add whatever else you have in the refrigerator or on hand: prepared salsa, or fresh tomatoes, onions, peppers, etc. In California it is quite common to add cheese and/ or sour cream. 


BTW a miga means a crumb.
 

1 comment:

Cynthia Sadler said...

Funny, I went to the grocery store yesterday and was thinking the same thing! I couldn't find a package of corn tortillas any smaller than 30. And we usually can't eat the whole package either and end up throwing a bunch away.