Saturday, August 9, 2008

Olympics!


My son has been bowling since he was about eight years old. The Special Education teachers at Maxwell Elementary School, Mrs. Roy and Mrs. Merrill, started taking the class to the bowling alley about once a week. They had great gifts to deal with their special students.

Through the years, my son has participated in Special Olympics every year. The venues have changed, the dates have been moved around the calendar, but he has always managed to participate.

I use the word participate instead of compete, because he is not competitive. He just likes to bowl. He does not even care if his scores are high or low. But he does like to watch the “turkey” on the monitor when he does the three strikes in a row.
Today was a turkey day.

As I watched the Olympics from Beijing tonight, I saw Michael Phelps mom when he won the 400m swimming event. I knew just exactly how proud she felt, and why tears swelled in her eyes. I experience that pride yearly when my son wins his Special Olympic medals.

No comments: