Thursday, August 14, 2008

Saving Our Good Things for Later


“No, no son cuatas.” I remember Mom, Dad or Mama Mere explain that my sister and I were not twins. Not only did Mom dress us alike, but we also got identical gifts. The pink umbrellas I think were from Mama Mere. Sis and I played with them for a short while, had this picture taken, and then she took them from us to save them for later. The umbrellas were not for playing, but like other valuable things had to be “saved” for later.  



I grew up with my elders thinking that all the nicer things had to be “saved” for later. I remember as a child getting a big doll, but not playing with it because it was too nice. Mama Mere again took it from us and stored it who knows where.


I now have a house replete with clutter, and am asking myself, why am I saving some of those things? We have lived in the same house for close to thirty years, and there are a lot of things that have been saved for later. I think it is time for us to make use of our fine china and crystal that we were gifted at our wedding. The good silver needs polishing, but I should probably get it out of wherever I stored it for later, and start using it, too.


In the photo above, that’s my Dad beaming proud with his girls. The beer? I think his preference was Schlitz. He had come home for lunch, but in those days the midday meal was the main one. La abuelita (my great grandmother) was the one who cooked meals for all of us. She wouldn’t allow my mom to cook, but that was just fine with Mom. Mom never liked any domestic chores.

No comments: