Monday, August 4, 2008

My New Nikon Arrived Today


I am excited about my new digital camera. I hope this Nikon lives up to its claim that it will work in low light situations.It arrived this afternoon, and I was anxious to try out right away, but had to wait until the battery charged. Then there was dinner time, and laundry to attend to. By then it was dark, so I tried it out on different things here in the house. This picture is taken in the macro mode. I wanted to capture the needlework of a cushion cover that I have framed. I think so far I need to try other subjects under different light conditions. Am looking forward to trying the active child mode when we visit grandson later this month.

The needlework above was done by the Hmong, and I bought it at a quilt show sometime in the early 1980s. I like the reverse applique that is so delicate, but I picked this particular piece because of the embroidered figures, that depicted the everyday life of the
Hmong farmers.

When I worked as a social worker, I had a consumer whose family name was Cha. The family knew very little English, but were extremely cooperative. I remember that their apartment had almost no furniture, but they were very gracious and offered me some tea. Not wanting to be impolite, I accepted. I normally do not drink tea without tons of sugar, but I did manage to consume at least five or six swallows. This Hmong family came from the mountain
area of Laos. And were among the thousand s of refugees that settled in the United States, and more particularly in Orange County.

No comments: