Sunday, September 14, 2008

Our Fruit Stand

I am back, and am feeling a little better. Busy, busy as ever, though. The older we get, it seems we have more doctor/dentist appointments.

Believe it or not, I am now thinking of what I want to do for Christmas. I am hoping my grandson comes to visit us again. He will be almost a year old by then. Time does fly that first year of the baby's life. No, that's not grandson in picture below.

 
This is Hubby and our one-year old son. Son will be 41 years old next month. The background is somewhere along the California coast, but I don't remember exactly where.
But thoughts of Christmas also brought me the memories of my family and our store on Main Street. I love the smell of Christmas, because Dad sold Christmas trees, apples, lots of citrus, and I remember all the nuts-- pecans, almonds, walnuts, filberts, and those really hard to crack Brazil nuts. 
While doing research at the UT History Library last month I was able to find the Robstown Record ad that Dad ran in December 1949.

Note a few things: If you click on the picture you will be able to read even the fine print.

The phone number was all of three digits. There is no street address given in the ad--everyone knew where the business was. I thought it would be fun to include part of the ad for the Palace Theatre. Of course, amazing is how the cost of living has changed since then--one avocado for 16 cents! I loved watching Mom and Dad packing those fruit baskets for shipping.

No comments: