Thursday, November 6, 2008

Tía María's Passing

 
This is picture of mom and Tía María at the Senior Center of Robstown. I think it was probably Tía's birthday because she is wearing a corsage. I don't know the year of the photo, but I know it was after 2001.
It is with great sadness that I write about one of my favorite aunts. Tía María (also known as Tía Mary and Aunt Mary) was the wife of my grand uncle, but we never made great distinctions when my sister and I were growing up. We regarded all “in-laws” as part of the extended family as if they were true blood relatives and cousins.
Tía María was born 96 years ago in San Diego, Texas. She passed away Monday, November 3, 2008. She was of my mom and dad’s generation. Memories I have of Tía Mary are that sometimes she was a mediator during family’s disagreements. Much like my mom, she was often the peacemaker. I also remember her as the crafty lady, long before arts and craft became popular. She enjoyed working with her hands, and was a good seamstress.


It was not unusual to walk away from her home without a gift in my hand. She always tried to find something to share from her crafts. When I would be back home visiting with my parents or my sister, I would always make an effort to go visit Aunt Mary. The custom is just to say hello and catch up with family news.


The last time that I went to “saludarla,” Tía María was in a nursing home. That was a little bit more than a year ago. Sis and I went together because it was Aunt Mary’s birthday. We each took her a birthday card. Since she had lost some of her hearing, we had to raise our voice each time we talked to her. I introduced myself first, and she just nodded, unsurely. Then my sister introduced herself and clarified who our parents were. Tía María again just nodded, still uncertain of who we were. However, about five minutes or so later, her eyes lit up, and she beamed a smile at us. She stated, “son las de Tina,” pointing her finger at us. She remembered my mom’s name. Recollection of that moment brings tears to my eyes.


Tía María, may you rest in peace. You will now join your husband, your first-born son, all of your sisters as well as your mom and dad. I am glad that you were part of my family. God bless you.



No comments: