Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Heiress, the play

We went to South Coast Repertory last night to see “The Heiress.” I don’t know why it is one of my favorites because I usually like happy endings. The ending of this play can’t exactly be called happy, maybe avenged. The cast at the Costa Mesa theatre proved very professional, and the audience heralded a few ‘bravos’ and ‘bravas’ at the actors during curtain call.


This play was based on a Henry James novel and was first staged in New York in 1947, but it was the movie of 1949 that I remember. In my youth I probably saw every movie that was shown in my hometown. But in 1949 I was really too young to appreciate the drama—musicals were more my liking. My dad was not one to give ratings to movies, but I recall that after he saw this movie, he declared it “really good.” I was only impressed that Olivia de Havilland looked sort of plain. Of course she won an Oscar for that role later on.


Fast forward to my years at Laredo Junior College. Since during high school, I had been in the class plays both my junior and senior years, I became involved with the drama group at LJC. I did not make the casting when Mr. Kielson announced the play was to be The Heiress. I did volunteer to work backstage, and was given the job of assistant stage manager.
My work in high school plays had been light fare, so I expected the students at LJC to be about the same level. I was truly surprised, when I watched the rehearsals and the girl named Rosina in the role of Catherine Sloper was literally crying real tears! She was truly great in the role. I have at times wondered if Rosina continued to exploit her thespian talent. I don't recall her last name, nor do I know what has become of her.

No comments: