Saturday, November 8, 2008

Had lunch with the King

There is a restaurant in Garden Grove that is all Elvis. Today we decided to have lunch with the King.


 
Even as we approached the restaurant, Elvis is seen on the balcony area
The food was OK, but we enjoyed looking at some of the memorabilia inside. There was no way we could have looked or read everything in this place. There were movie posters on the ceiling in English, Spanish, French, Italian, etc. As one enters the establishment, the Elvis below is there to greet you. I took the picture of Son and Hubby with Elvis as we said good-bye!
 
I could have cropped this photo, but instead decided to include some of the Elvises around there. 



I recall several Elvis stories, but the first one goes back to when I was a senior  in high school. I was on the yearbook staff. I forget my title, but I was in charge of the section that would sell ads to the merchants of the town to help defray the cost of publishing the yearbook. The teacher sponsor, a fellow student and I were making the rounds trying to collect sponsorships when the subject of Elvis came up. And my fellow student declared that she was not like those silly, screaming girls who followed Elvis around, BUT, she declared, she was truly in love with him! I could hardly believe she had said that, because up to now, I had thought that B was more matured than that.


The other memory of Elvis was the day that he died. I was working as a child support officer in the Orange County District Attorney's office. When the news of Elvis's death started spreading in the office, we all started talking about all the great songs Elvis had recorded, how he had gotten so out of shape, how Priscilla's make up was so awful, etc. Then on the drive home that day the radio stations were all playing Elvis recordings, which they had not been doing too much.


Hubby did attend a live concert of Elvis, but that was before Elvis became famous. Hubby remembers it was during the school year 1953-54 when he went to a Faron Young concert in Amarillo, TX. Elvis was the opening act, and his song was "That's Alright Mama."

No comments: