Thursday, October 9, 2008

Remembering Sam's Words

I got a phone call today from a member of a genealogical society. The caller maintains their website. He was interested in posting parts of the book which my brother and I put out a few years back containing Dad's memoirs. I was agreeable to the idea, but that got me to thinking about my Dad's life. He never did talk to us, his children, about his early life. He would say, "¿Para que quieres saber?" Even Mom was not aware of his childhood experiences until she found his little red diary--a year and a half after his death. Well, that call sent me back to  the book and to memories of Daddy.

I have several favorite photos of Dad, but tonight I have chosen two:

This first one, I titled At the River. This photo was taken in the earlly 1950s, and Dad and Mom both look healthy and happy. Dad was demonstrative in his affections, hugging and kissing Mom all the time. I guess that's why I am always hugging people, too.



My other favorite photo of Dad was taken when he was a teenager working for Western Union.

 
Here are Sam's own words from his little book:
"Mostly every day at noon and after school, about three or four of us boys from the Catholic school would go and flirt with the pretty girls from that little school (in those schools, no mas
chicanos).
 
A year later, I went to public school. My teacher’s name was Mrs. Borum.  In that school it was nice, ‘cause there was the regular system. But again, after one year or so, I had to quit
school to go to work. This time as a messenger boy at the ‘Western Union.’

At $30.00 a month. The rush of telegrams was in winter, at least six to eight months. I enjoyed my job, especially when I received tips. I worked one year and then I had to quit that job, ‘cause $30.00 was not enough. I cried when I quit that job. Then I had to go work in the fields picking vegetables.
 
Again, it was something new for me. I didn’t make enough for my lunch, and it was rough, cause it was cold and rainy or really hot sun, we had to work. Y como dije antes, no ganaba ni para el lunch. "

1 comment:

Cynthia Sadler said...

I love the Western Union photo.