Friday, March 6, 2009

Signs in the Rest Rooms

 
 


The “Decency” sign was discovered in a Chinese Restaurant in Garden Grove, CA.

The “Please Flush” sign was found in a Clubhouse of a Senior Apartment Complex in Azusa, CA.

I thought they were both humorous, but those signs brought back memories (though now a little hazy) of my two European tours.

My first tour of Europe was with Hubby in the summer of 1966. We had wed June 1965, went back to teach one more year at Tascosa High School, Amarillo, TX. I was a member of an organization of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese. The organization and some University in Spain sponsored a 9-week course in Madrid. The course was optional, but we could take advantage of the charter plane. So the trip was sort of a honeymoon for us. We toured Europe on a shoestring. We were young and healthy and could walk long distances, climb stairs to the top of domes, sleep on the train, etc.

Fast forward to January 1998 and Daughter and I went to Europe for about 5 or 6 weeks. She was between finishing school and finding a job. I discovered I could not walk as far, climb as many steps, and I preferred sleeping on a clean, warm hotel bed. But the tour was a great adventure nonetheless.

On the second tour, I was also more picky on the bathroom facilities, especially those found in public places such as the train stations and restaurants. Even some of the older accommodations in Barcelona, Florence and other cities could have been brought to higher standards. Daughter and I began to joke and take notice of some of the signs found in some rest room facilities. I don’t remember specific wordings on the signs, but our lodging in Valencia, Spain was a place that had signs plastered on the bedroom walls as well as the rest room walls. Most of the signs had instructions or directions of things NOT to do. We thought the experience was very funny.


I feel very fortunate to have done that traveling--sweet memories of experiences with very dear ones.

No comments: