Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Christmas Tulips in Bloom

My niece and sister-in-law gave me a really sweet gift for Christmas. Thank you very much. As you can see, I have been really enjoying your gift. They are well aware that I love flowers and gardening. The major jobs in gardening are getting a bit much for me, now, but I still can do the 'little' jobs.

The gift: three tulip bulbs in water. I wish I had started photographing the growth from Christmas day, but just the last three days have been dramatic enough.


 
This was on Monday.
  
Here is Tuesday.
  
And, this one was taken tonight.
But I think my favorite photo is this one that I Photoshopped some effects. I like to do that just to see what comes out.

 

Since I grew up in South Texas, I always thought a tulip was something esoteric, and I can't recall that we ever had any tulips growing in our vicinity. Since moving to California I have had limited success with tulips. They will be in bloom when I purchase them (just before Easter), and then never again will I see a flower. I have tried storing them in the freezer, but that did not help.

Daffodils have been more responsive. I can usually count on daffodils coming up around the time for my birthday. Hope I get to see some this year. I like all flowers.

1 comment:

Cynthia Sadler said...

Tulips are my favorite flower. But I have had the same problem that they never bloom again. I've given up on that.